Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Ghostbusters: Afterlife Review!


SPOILERS AHEAD:
After reading reviews online calling out this movie for its blatant "fan service", it's clear the internet can't agree on what fan service actually is...

Unlike most of the world, I didn't grow up on the OG Ghostbusters movies, so I didn't get to know the guys until a few years ago. But, like the rest of the world, I fell fast and hard for the characters and their brand of humor.
And yes, I even enjoy the 2016 Paul Feig film for what it's worth....
So with all the hype, and in an attempt to dodge spoilers, 'Ghostbusters: Afterlife' was a no-brainer for my first time back inside a movie theatre since Pixar's 'Onward' in early 2020.

Afterlife's kids are wonderful, and have such great chemistry.
McKenna Grace's Phoebe is adorkable, and her friendship with Podcast (Logan Kim) is such a fun dynamic I hope we get to see more of in the Ghostbusters universe; I'm not ready for their story to be done just yet.
And Paul Rudd is charming as heck, but we all know that already...

Of course we get to see Janine and the boys again, jumpsuits and all, but we were all expecting that... What I wasn't expecting was (ironically) the return of Gozer (an uncredited Olivia Wilde) and those BEAUTIFUL Terror Dog puppets.

Which brings us to THAT MOMENT:
I think a lot of us had speculated about something similar happening in the finale, but the execution was as close to perfect as I've seen. It is clear that our moments with Egon were designed with love and the utmost respect. And the similarities to an unused 90s Ramis/Akroyd script, in which Venkman is the Buster no longer with us (to accommodate Murray's availability) makes it all the sweeter.

If this movie is the "definition of fan service", like the internet warned me about, I'm all in.
I like Ghostbusters.
I got more Ghostbusters.
As a fan I have been happily served.

No comments:

Post a Comment