Wednesday, August 24, 2022

My Night in Theatre HECK!

Facebook Memories can be a blessing and a curse, and I was recently reminded of a happening I've not spoken about (publicly, at least...) that I feel the need to share.
As I type I don't know if I'll even publish this, but I'll still write it up nonetheless. 
Maybe it will be therapeutic? 

I will not be dropping any names, but for context I should let you know that this story takes place at a local Community Theatre; a place where I spent my High School years (and then some) on stage and off. Where I would say a bulk of my early theatrical education and training took place.
I learned a LOT from the people and the productions with this group, and still hold the memories made there with much reverence and love. 

With that being said, 6 years ago I was invited to a performance at said community theatre, and that's where this story starts:

I had several old friends in this show, as well as some new friends I had recently met as part of my new relationship with Audrey.
I was NOT aware however, that my abusive ex (whom I had broken up with more than 6 months prior) was a part of the show until it was too late to get myself out of the situation.
And. I. Was. Terrified.
For hours leading up the show I was paranoid, shaking, and probably not a lot of fun to be around...
BUT I was surrounded by friends so I convinced myself I would be able to get through it...

Audrey and I had dinner, slipped into the theatre right as the lights were going down, and made it through Act 1 unscathed.
During my intermission bathroom break, though, I was told (through text) that my ex was walking the theatre looking for me, and was warned to stay in the restroom until the cost was clear.

Because of this, I was a WRECK through Act 2; and as the show was coming to a close, we decided to make an early exit to prevent an unwanted encounter at the post-show meet and greet.
In the parking lot we were approached by two strangers (who Audrey and I have since nicknamed "The Goons"). They were Ex's friends, and told me that they "knew I was there to see her" (how I was able to convince my new girlfriend to help me stalk my ex-girlfriend, is beyond me...)
I was told to "leave her alone" and that I was not welcome at the theatre anymore.
I sputtered some sort of response, and got into my car shaken and angry.

We let our friends who were still inside know what happened, and the head of theatre (who I'd known for MANY years) called to apologize a few days later.
Shortly after I was offered an olive branch, and was asked to build some puppets for an upcoming show. BUT when the aforementioned Ex found out, she started spreading rumors amongst the theatre about MY abuse and how I'd recently vandalized her mother's car.
I was removed from the project and haven't been back since. 

On one hand I'm glad that a theatre I called home will listen when women speak about abuse, but on the other it feels very cold to have people who'd known me since I was 15 suddenly sever all connections without trying to get all of the information.

Maybe one day I'll be able to go back, but as of today I still have a bad taste in my mouth... even six years later.

More soon,
Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment