Tuesday, August 29, 2017

VIDEO: Kiss the Girl


It's finally done!
This video turned out to be a HUGE undertaking and a has been work in progress for much longer than I usually like, so I'm thrilled that it's finally been set loose into the world!

Since our "Date Night" Beauty and the Beast video in April, I've wanted to do more Disney-Inspired sketches with puppets taking the place of the animated characters. I made TONS of plans, drawings, and designs, but, inevitably, my favorite Mermaid won out and I've been piecing this BEAST together for a few months now.

For the curious few who have asked, I'm going to share a few details about the making of our little video here.
Plus, if I don't write it down now I will probably forget all of this myself...


One of my original concepts involved Ariel getting her legs from Ursula the Sea Witch, but not lungs so she'd be constantly dunking her head in water to breathe (buckets in the stable, pots on the dining room table, etc.) but that sounded time consuming and much more expensive than our non-existent budget allowed..

Once we figured out a do-able and solid concept for what this video was going to be about, the puppets were the very first thing I put together for this video. I assembled these guys a few months ago from some left over materials in the course of a slow week of client orders. They've been sitting on a rack waiting for a chance to make a SPLASH (Ha...pun) since!  


The puppets are some of my favorites that I've built this year... and I've built a LOT of puppets in the last 8 months... I've been doing a (terrible, I know) Sebastian impression for years and have toyed with the idea of making a puppet version of him for a long time, so I jumped on the opportunity as soon as I knew I wanted him in the video. I had quite a collection of different reference photos for these three puppets, most of the pictures being the Audio-Animatronic versions of the characters from the "Journey of The Little Mermaid" ride in the Disney Parks. It's much easier to transfer something from 2-D to 3-D if someone already done the problem solving for you!


Audrey, who I think IS secretly a Disney Princess, pulled together all of our costumes from local Goodwills, with the exception of Ariel's wig and corset which, by sheer luck, happened to be on sale through Amazon Prime.


We filmed everything in just a few hours one evening on Blue Screen  and I put a ridiculous 30+ hours into editing... that's crazy, even for me! 


In total (props, costumes, puppets, etc.) we only spent about $50 for this video, TAKE THAT Game of Thrones!


Also, Bloopers:

That's all the "Fun Facts" things I can think of, but I still can't see straight from all the editing...

If you liked the video be sure to share it around!

More coming soon,
Avery Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment